Wednesday, July 12, 2006

It's E-Learning day!

Today and tom, the kids in my school will be at home the whole day reading stuff off the net and doing online assignments, leaving the teachers to join in focus group discussions and myself, probably to slack the day away. Then again, that's what I've been doing most days. Because the canteen is closed, I'll probably go out of school for some food later, then come back surf net and use the nice gym here, and that'll probably waste the working hours away.

Things are ok for this practicum here lah. I'm not bothered by many things and pretty much left alone to slack. The students are mostly nice, with some of us making an impression on each other in this short time already. I join in 2 badminton sessions and 1 ODAC session with the kids every week, and really enjoy them though that means I leave school real late. Most of the teachers are quite stressed out here though, most don't bother to lift up their eyes to look you in the face and smile when paths crossed, but that's ok. For the first time, I hear idle chatter and laughter here in the staffroom now; the absence of the students must be a welcoming relief.

What's I've learnt in school thus far (mostly unrelated to PE):
  • Some teachers like to be in a good supportive staffroom, some wants a place which has kids with best behaviours, I think I am looking for a place where my talents will be valued and put to best use.
  • The P and VP can really set the mood and atmosphere of the staffroom. The entire morale level of the teachers depends on their EQ and ambition.
  • If you don't show that you're serious about teaching (esp. with PE lessons), the kids naturally can't be bothered to pay attention or do what you instruct them.
Despite my revelations, I'm itching to get back to NIE playground and play on. 1o more days to go!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This kind of slacker life... haha... doesn't seem challenging for you leh.