Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Geometry

I have had a new-found interest in geometry recently...bike geometry that is.
With the gradual upgrades to my bike, the way I seat myself and pedal on it has undergone minor adjustments (we're talking about centimeters of differences), but what profound effect they elicited! First I changed my pedals and shifted my new cleats forward. Intuitively, I discovered that I have to move my saddle forward too to continue to pedal efficiently. But that left my chin sticking over the stem center, so out goes my 110mm stem and in comes a 130mm stem, which did wonders to my positioning! Never did I felt so comfortable on the saddle, comfortably stretched out in a good aerodynamic posture (as far as my body is comfortable with at this moment).

It's not just about comfort; you can adjust the geometry to perform better too. Want a more aggressive streamlined position? Move the saddle even more forward and higher, and both lengthen and lower the stem, and get narrower handlebars. Just make sure your back can get used to the torture :p

For now, I just dream of cycling on and on...

No comments: