Friday, June 05, 2009

Books for another time

Quite a bit of memories and thoughts flood my mind when I cleaned my old books before placing them in order in the new bookcase. The books that I treasured most are often the ones that I purchased but have not read, those that you somehow know should be worth your time even before you open a page of it. I feel excited just to hold them and look at their cover, wondering what literary gems of wisdom lies in wait for me within their pages.

But these books that had been cloistered up for years are really a relic of my younger days, many of them. I realise that now I will hardly have the patience to read and savour the experience of reading them. My work life has made me quite a nervous wreck in a way nowadays, and every free moment I feel as if I should use the time to think about work instead. There's just endless things to do, and even a holiday can make me pick up a book that requires intense concentration to absorb.

Reading for leisure seems to be literally a pastime now...

1 comment:

Alex Wong said...

Learning that sometimes we need to compartmentalise. Designate some time to do ur reading without worrying about work. Its important actually!

I'm also learning... :)