Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sailing

Just went for the MOE sailing course for teachers, and it was a tiring 4 day course out in the sun. Tiring not because the activity itself is demanding, but because somehow just sitting out in the sun going round and round markers is a drain on the brain.


It was pretty fun when the wind blows strongly (it was never very strong though), I pull in the sail taut when going upwind, and hike out the side of the boat to balance the boat. But we actually spend more time sitting in the boat when the wind is low, and that's where I take a dip in the spa pool onboard (my boat was leaky) and hang around. At first I'll get psyched up and go around the triangle course as if i'm in a race, gybing with reckless abandon and loving the sudden flip of the boom, but boredom takes over when the instructors just leave us there to go round and round for a long while.


So what's next? Maybe I'll try is a few more times to get my skills fully proficient, and perhaps get level 2 in the future. I don't think I like it enough to be too 'on' about it, but perhaps just for the satisfaction of mastering a new skill (and getting a new cert/adding one more line to my CV), I might pursue the next level still.

Here's how it looks like out there. I'm actually risking capsize here by sailing one handed and only steering by hiking out, but after a while even that becomes routine.

2 comments:

Teddybear, Rabbit and Grubby said...

Sailing is fun when you're racing with the strong winds !

You should have tried clipping down the sheets and steering by heeling the boat when standing at the bow of the boat holding the mast.

Wolfie said...

haha...my instructor never teach leh, didn't know that's possible.

He did say that it is possible to steer without the rudder, and that made me bring up the rudder a few times to try steering by adjusting boat tilt...no success though.