Thursday, October 12, 2006

The dismal classroom

During a session in an unproductive and redundant class, I suddenly had a moment of revelation - School had been a huge waste of time for me, all in all. I recalled that for most of my schooling life, I left the school gate after the day's session with no awareness of me having learnt anything at all. Learning only took place somewhat before tests and exams, the time in between was spent chatting/napping during class and playing football after it. When I went for school experience and stepped into the secondary school classroom again after so long, I felt the oppressive atmosphere between the four drab grey walls all over.

Is school such a big waste of time for most people? Could my schooling days be made more productive with a better environment and more dynamic teachers? It seems that the incidents and moments which left indelible impressions on me and moulded my character all came from CCA time, or the leisure time spent with my friends. The only exception is in JC, when my literature teachers all combined to give impactful lessons; or maybe by then I was mature enough to listen more attentively and absorb their words of wisdom better.

I want to start leaving impressions and making an impact onto my students' lives at that transitional moment of their growth. I think I can expect much more failures than successes in the attempts, but I must persevere and not waste the precious teenage years of my students, whether or not they appreciate it then. Hopefully, they will look back from their future and realise the impact of my efforts, and then in their own way help to contribute to other peoples' lives.

No comments: