Thursday, June 28, 2007

Nearing the end of first week...

PE Classes
My beep test lesson for the kids is working really well. Despite their initial complaints about having to run, they easily grew fascinated just be listening to the instructions about the conducting of the test and the different roles they will play. Almost all of them ran the test to the best of their limits, so much so that 2 of them vomitted today from the effort (nothing serious though). There was this boy who ran 2 complete levels alone, determined to get his personal best even though no one in class even went near his record (Level 13.3 for 15m shuttles). I also got to lecture one of the Normal Academic class when the girls did not put in their best effort, berating them for giving up easily and asking them to reflect upon their attitude towards their pursuits.

English
Will be teaching English to my sec 3 class from next week on, sharing half of the lessons each week with the other teacher till she leaves in 5 weeks' time. Thought of starting each lesson with some 'check-in' activity, anything that can motivate them, encourage them, or show them what I expect from them. Like I said, the class seriously need to learn some lessons in values first before any academic learning. They are kids who put their head on the table for the entire lesson and refuses to respond to the teacher right now, and others just refuse to do any sort of work.

Outdoor Activities Club matters
Something new to my portfolio - My HOD just handed over the main handling of the club to me in her absence this semester, so I have to implement stuff, follow up on issues, plan activities and write some proposals too. I just got my weekends burned so that I can follow my kids on kayaking courses (of all places, Changi PASSC...), among other things. Eventually, I also have to examine the conditions of some kayaks passed on to us, think of ways to spend $5k for the club (someone out there might be interested to help on this perhaps?), and decide if it is feasible for the kids to get the NYAA Silver award.

So, loads of things to do. I've been staying in school till late everyday these days to work, think I'll be quite a workaholic in the coming few weeks too. I love my work environment though, the way I placed my books and stuff around me, and the stock of food I have; that really makes the work easier.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ganbatte yo!

Unknown said...

Perhaps you can look out for and nominate some leaders in your OAC.

Let them organise, plan, execute, and you can then just supervise... then u wun be so siong liao, and they get to learn more in the process? =)