Tuesday, July 31, 2007

An die Musik

Today was a shitty day. Very shitty. My bosses intend to screw up my timetable big time and asking me to do ridiculous things which are not normally justifiable. It was also the first time that I have to take over English remedial classes for another teacher.

I looked at the crew of students looking at me, not knowing what to expect. I thought I felt a hint of apprehension in the air. Ah what the hell, I can't do miracles, especially not for a subject like English, so I might as well take it slow. I did an impromptu self-introduction exercise with them, told them about the story of how I arrived here standing in front of them teaching English, and went on to explain how I think language learning is like. I think it struck a chord with them when I told them I never speak English to friends till I got to JC, and how I still cannot explain grammar rules technically.

Nearing the end of our session, I heard Bach! Pure unadulterated Bach, on a solo instrument, which I first thought was the horn but later realised was the saxophone (the fellow could run up and down the scales easily, and that will be a bit hard to do on the horn). Methodically, he went through the cello suites from the first prelude of the first suite, pass all the other five movements, on to the next suite. I can't wait for the session to end to discover the musician's identity.

It was a boy in the uniform! He said he only picked up the instrument since sec 1, and 3 years on he actually went out to buy the cello suites on his own accord, and practiced by himself, all alone in an empty classroom. That is simply awesome, to find a kid who can get this passionate in this school.

And I am reminded of this poem by Franz Von Schober, which describes how music, at the most unexpected moment, can lift our spirits.

An Die Musik

Du holde Kunst, in wieviel grauen Stunden,
Wo mich des Lebens wilder Kreis umstrickt,
Hast du mein Herz zu warmer Lieb entzunden,
Hast mich in eine beßre Welt entrückt!

Oft hat ein Seufzer, deiner Harf' entflossen,
Ein süßer, heiliger Akkord von dir
Den Himmel beßrer Zeiten mir erschlossen,
Du holde Kunst, ich danke dir dafür!

To Music

Oh sacred art, how oft in hours blighted,
While into life's untamed cycle hurled,
Hast thou my heart to warm love reignited
To transport me into a better world!

So often has a sigh from thy harp drifted,
A chord from thee, holy and full of bliss,
A glimpse of better times from heaven lifted.
Thou sacred art, my thanks to thee for this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you find out this boy's identity and contact and let me know? He shouldn't just be playing in his school band, he must be exposed to a repertoire of music and I think my group can offer that. ;)

Wolfie said...

Oh cool! Will do that man!