Friday, July 13, 2007

Very, very busy...

I am fighting to stay ahead of deadlines, leave adequate time to plan respectable lessons and also do the things I personally want, like carrying through plans for my CCA. I'll definitely have to work late into the night through the weekends this week, and probably skip Sunday's polo training.

Anyway, my birthday was over yesterday, and what a day it was. I was forced by my Principal to go for the convocation in NTU, wear some rridiculous costume, wait for 758 people to shake hands and receive an empty folder from someone I don't know (and don't care to know), before I go up to do that myself. The PE cohort put on its best rowdy behaviour as usual, and clapped loudly for everyone in the cohort when it was our turn; many probably wondered why we had to behave like that, but I felt that it showed our support for each other and pride in our profession.

Then I had to go back school for an EPMS briefing. That's basically the system in which all teaching staff will be evaluated with, and my VP gave us a very convincing talk that clarified many things for us. For example, a D grade doesn't fail a teacher but no bonus is given because bonuses are supposed to be awarded to encourage effort beyond what is expected, and that grade will block promotion for 2-3 years because a teacher who is deemed to just be able to handle that certain amount of work at that level will not be able to take on extra responsibilities required at the next higher grade. It makes a lot of sense, though I think kiasu Singaporeans just cannot stand getting a 'D' for anything, or not get bonuses and promotions when many others do. I have to admit that I will feel bad if I get a 'D' too.

And for the day, I had Swensens for lunch, Sakae Sushi for tea and Thai food at some small restaurant at Compasspoint. A bit too much good food for just a single day, and then tonight I am going Crystal Jade after polo training with the guys - July will feed me very well, and possibly make me quite broke too...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Wolfie! :p