Friday, December 14, 2007

Days in Bangkok

Wow. It was an incredible day of shopping right from the airport. We got to the city’s excellent backpackers hostel Suk 11 and went out immediately to start feeding our shopping urges.

First, I dragged Karen to this row of sports merchandise shop near the National Stadium and bought myself 2 high-end Yonex rackets costing a total of $285SGD, THE buy of my visit here! Those two babies would have cost me over $400 in Singapore, and I am raring to try them out on the court.

Then we trawled the bewildering row of shops at MBK center for a while. Karen was more interested in this complex opposite the place which offers a great range of fashion wear at good prices, and I have to agree that many of the stuff there is so cute I’ll probably squeal in delight if I’m a girl. Back at MBK, I bought a really cute ‘Darth Vader’ 2GB thumbdrive, with the figure molded out of clay over the hardware. Damn cute.

And the food here must be mentioned. I had to go back to trying the stewed pork rice and the Thai iced tea every time I come here, and regret not having the stomach to get the mango with glutinous rice dessert.

On the streets, we got 2 bottles of the sweet orange juice to quench the thirst, a packet of goreng pisang, and 3 delicious fried chicken drumsticks on the way back. Am gonna get that mango dessert tomorrow night just outside our hostel!

I spent a cool $10000 Thai Baht just on the first day! *gasp*



We went for a tour to the city of Ayuthaya yesterday, to see the temple ruins in that area.

We pretty much get the same picture wherever we go, and the day ended with a boat ride back to Bangkok with a so-so buffet lunch on it. Then some walking around Siam Paragon, probably the most upmarket shopping mall in the country.

Stay tuned for more updates!

No comments: