Saturday, March 21, 2009

Pride and learning

I am getting quite excited about the upcoming kayak course for my school kids, where I will be conducting a 2 star refresher course for my kids. It's really the highlight of the year for me, to be in my elements, teaching my kids fun and cool things, and really passing on the love for paddling to them. It's probably the only 2 star course in the world that will incorporate sprinting and canoe polo introductions in them too, and I've even finished my extensive lesson plan for it.

I felt that it will be good for teachers in my school to go for this advanced 2 star course so that they can learn much more, and so invited all teachers in my school to it. 2 teachers from the NCC unit wanted to join in, a middle-aged family man and a young female teacher just a batch before me. The guy was the CO for the unit in my school, a very friendly person who is quietly passionate about giving his best to his CCA. For example, I was surprised to meet him at the last outdoor education conference, which he somehow got wind of and signed up himself, when I had thought I was the only teacher interested in such things.

Yesterday, I met that guy in school, and he said that the lady teacher did not want to go for the course anymore because my ODAC kids will be there as well, but that he will still be joining us. Now that was really a disappointment man. A young teacher who gives us on a learning opportunity, just because she don't want to be seen as a student by her own students! If she is ashamed to be seen as a student, what kind of message is she sending to the kids?

The kids didn't know that she was supposed to be there, but that's not the point. I just feel disappointed that people would rather preserve their pride than be seen as being amateurish, especially when she's a teacher who has to constantly encourage her students to work hard by telling them that everyone has to start somewhere.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

somehow i can understand lah....perhaps she's already having trouble in classroom magmt and feels that it will undermine her authority even more? sometimes our students are just not mature enuff to recognise that teachers arent good at everything....or...in the 1st place she wasnt very interested and was asked to go by the other teacher? or just dat her personality is the shy type?

Wolfie said...

I just think that educators shouldn't have such an attitude la. I have no qualms about showing my ineptness in some things like maths, or dancing for example. I would rather use the opportunity to be a role model for them by being an enthusiastic learner who is intellectually curious.

Anonymous said...

Can I go too? Haha. :)

Wolfie said...

Hm think not la...sorry!

Anonymous said...

Dancing?! Lol!

Wolfie said...

Haha what about dancing? It's fun ok! Just that I need a lot of help there haha.

Where did you disappear to btw?

Anonymous said...

Nowhere, I'm still here what... Lol!