Thursday, April 27, 2006

Hypocrisy

Like it or not, becoming a mature adult means learning to be a hypocrite. It means having to smile and act civilly to people you don't like. Of course, civil behaviour is expected most of the time from people, and one doesn't feel an intense dislike even for obnoxious people most of the time when meeting them; but still, you know you're hypocritical when you smile and talk politely to these people. Other instances will be when you do things which you personally don't endorse, which I think many teachers often do because teachers are supposed to be rather saintly role models but we all know that teachers are also only human.

A hatred of hypocrisy can explain my candid upfront attitude (often also read as being intolerably rude) with most things. Inside myself, I just can't force myself to do certain things that I disagree with, either unethical or dishonest actions or dealing with people whom I dislike. I especially hate people who are senior in age or position but who act in less-than-exemplery fashions, and will spare them no criticism if the chance arises, to hell with courtesy and respect. These people lose more of my respect exactly because of their seniority, and the latter is not going to earn them immunity from my barbs.

Despite being berated by people around me for being too honest often, I'm adamant that I'm not going to change this about myself. I think it's damn sickening for a teacher to be a hypocrite, and all for what? Leave people with a better impression? Heck... if I can't live with my own hypocritical actions, I don't really care about what people think about me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What if as a teacher, you're too honest with a poor student and instead and encouraging the poor student you tell him/her the truth and causes that poor student to lose faith?

Wolfie said...

I believe in telling the truth about poor performance; it's important that kids know from young that life's not a bed of roses and it's always about struggling and striving, failing and rising.

Such feedback doesn't need to be disparaging or demeaning however - In fact I think I do a pretty good job at encouraging kids to try and do better actually, from my kayak coaching experience...