Thursday, August 23, 2007

OJT lessons...

I just got some on the job training from a student in my new NT class yesterday. Giving them a break from me and the last common test, I played a movie for them to watch for the lesson. The class chairperson took the chance to come up to me then to tell me about how I should manage the class!

Apparently my English HOD who took them previously always revised specific parts of the common test paper with them before the actual test, and that is why there was a small uproar when I gave them the test on Monday without any sort of revision. I didn't realised that they needed this routine before they can feel confident about taking tests; without it, some of them felt outraged and simply refused to try the paper I think.

And he also wants me to tone down my voice when I speak to the class (I am awake of my loud voice but am still working at trying to make it softer), give them a period to do work and then another to slack and talk, etc. All very good advices, and I received them humbly and told him how I am still not comfortable with his class at this moment, and will probably need time to adjust myself.




I learnt in a meeting later that day that the NT kids can fail every subject and will still get through to ITE for some courses. That knowledge does put everything into perspective huh? Maybe that's why many of them do not feel the need to do better. I'll still carry on and work at it nonetheless, because my conscience does not allow me to do otherwise.

I have test markings and lesson plans and emails to reply to et cetera this week, but am still trying to maintain my sporting lifestyle. After an English workshop on Tuesday, I simply cannot go for polo session on Tuesday and felt quite bad about it. I'll probably have to bring down my laptop and do marking while watching my juniors play games there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's good that the class rep came up to give you feedback; it's something that you should encourage. It's also good because it puts to perspective what might be wrong. From what you wrote there seems to be a gap in what you think and what your students think.

Perhaps your kids just need more coaching or more repetitive drills bah. They might also be less receptive to changes in how they are being taught? =)

Alex Wong said...

About the point on ITE, I suppose its alot on what is their goals. Of course, if their goals is just to go ITE then they might not work very hard. There are various types of certification in ITE, so not sure if their grades have any impact on that in future. Might want to find out and see if you can give them a fuller perspective.

Another thing that comes to mind is that alot of these things comes from their self-image. A person's self-image is a key determinant in what a person sets as his goals or what he/she believe is achievable or not.

Are there any ways that teachers can help build a student's self-image in school? Actually, are local teachers even trained that way?

Wolfie said...

No Alex, NIE don't teach us how to do coaching...but they do teach us to design lessons and give work that they can succeed in.

Yah I have to say that I cannot connect to them still. Try loh. Every lesson go in try something and see what happens.