Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pre-trip prep

Things have been silent so far here because I was busy with stuff; had lots of meetings with the various contractors, attended (wasted time) at school camps, and did preparations for my trip. Actually, I haven't been doing very much of the last, which should be the most important thing because I'm due to leave TOMORROW. But all I have done so far is to throw a few bits of stuff at one corner of the room's floor, waiting to sweep them all into the bag. But I'm good with packing my stuff, will get it done in a while.

I'm proud to have improvised my sail mounting base myself! Last week I went back to school and looked for the friendly workshop technician there. He gave me an aluminium plate which was exactly the size I wanted, and I had fun using the hacksaw, file, and the drilling machine, which I haven't used in more than a decade. It was really satisfying to create something that is functional.

I had to put 2 D-ring patches on the side of the boat to secure the mast down, but because of the uneven top surface, it is hard to apply weight down on it for it to be securely glued on. I actually have to tear off one of the patch because it was so non-sticky, scratch off the glue layer and redo it again yesterday night.



This afternoon, I picked up JB and we went around, printed maps at Peace center, and buying loads of lithium batteries. We came back home and sprayed on UV protectant on our boat decks and lubricated our frame's tube joints, then went out again to collect the lights from his friend who made it for him. It's really quite an remarkable piece of engineering, with many thoughtful features, will post pictures if I can after my trip.

Just now while folding the boat to keep it, the D-ring patch came off again, and I had to spend an hour peeling away the old glue layer to stick on again at a better position. The glue refused to came off on the other piece though, and in frustration I made a new patch. Unfortunately, I need to secure the glueing of the D-ring to the strap first before I can stick it to the boat proper. So probably I will wake up at 7am tomorrow to do it, and hope that by 6pm before I leave for the airport tomorrow I can get it secured!

Suddenly feel very mad about it...should sleep soon...

No comments: