Thursday, April 02, 2009

The impact of CCA teachers

The most vivid memories of my secondary school life is probably of my time spent in my school band group. I remember going to the band room immediateloy after school, doing homework there, running around with my guy friends there, the fun and challenge of music practice, and interacting with a group of very interesting band seniors, whom I still remember fondly.

Today, I think CCA life is still a big part of students' life, and there are a hell lot of kids who pursue their CCAs more actively than their studies.

However, I see many teachers in my school who have no interest in putting effort into their CCAs to develop their kids' potentials and help them gain achievements. As a PE teacher, I think it's a shame that many teachers who are indifferent to sports are managing sports CCAs. They do not know, or care to find out, how to give the best training to their students, and merely go to CCA sessions to mark attendance.

Students can attend sessions religiously weekly, even train hard, but never able to excel or fully develop their potential, and probably end up getting trashed in zonal competitions. I can imagine them leaving the CCA after 4 years with bittersweet feelings, having developed a love for their sports but always regretting and wondering why they failed to achieved anything significant in their CCA lives.

With each CCA having more than 50 kids across the levels, the failure of CCA teachers in helping their charges gain success is a major failing of their duties.

2 comments:

Virgil said...

Do you get to choose your CCAs? Or some just end up with the left-overs? If there's no choice, even if you were posted to a CCA which you have totally no interest, it's hard to motivate the students in it.

Also, if students have the choice, I'm sure they would figure out the CCA is not going anywhere and they are free to transfer or change CCA.

There may be teachers who sit in a CCA to mark attendance; but let us not forget there are also students who sit in a CCA to mark attendance too. Even if you have a motivated CCA teacher, you can't help these students.

Wolfie said...

All this is subjected to school policies - PE HODS tend to allocate CCAs looking at vacancies and suitability (eg taking into consideration peculiar talents of teachers if any).

Changing CCAs is frowned upon by the school, because CCA points are big issues now and can count as a subject for entry into Polytechnics. My school have a no-CCA-change policy.

The sports CCAs in my school now have few resources actually, and many of the teachers are not trying hard enough to think about how they can cope with the problems as far as I can see...