Saturday, January 09, 2010

My new class

I had the fortune of being assigned as the form teacher for the first express class for the sec 1 level this year - I think the management finally realised that I'm best suited to teaching high ability learners. Which is not to say that I didn't enjoy teaching the second last class last year and the year before, but I think the management is not convinced that my methods will develop their language skills rather than confusing them.

The first class is quite noisy when they are relaxed around me actually, which my students always do. They will raise quick suggestions all over, and counter-suggestions will come from other parts of the classroom without my intervention. They perpetually remind me of the hundred and one forms that they are supposed to hand up to me and the stuff that i'm supposed to collect from them. a third of the class shot up their hands in the air when I asked if anyone's willing to try be the class chairperson and vice-chairperson. And amazingly, when the classroom is empty in between lessons, they are all in their seats and eerily quiet. The last one is really a winning quality that will no doubt score points with the school management.

Ahh...life is gonna be good. I am going to try revolutionary ideas to make my form class a real home for them this year, and it is good to know so early on that I have an appreciative group. Maybe they will be my best teaching class ever. Perhaps they might even be the class to hold me back in this school for another 2 years.

1 comment:

Runnaholic-foodie said...

Congrats on getting the best class! Its great to hear that you can experiment new pedagogical ideas with this higher-ability bunch of students. Do cherish it man. Im sure u'll love them to bits. Problem is, good students can be brats sometimes as well..

Im doing good over here! And i have seen some outdoor shops here! Im going skiing soon! and i will check out this kayaking shop that i saw and will take pics to tag u! Enjoy school! Take Care