Sunday, January 17, 2010

Reading fads

It's interesting to see students following certain trends in their reading choices, blindly subscribing to the bookshops' marketing promotions. First there was the Harry Potter series, then the Vampire trilogy (the one which made vampirism really attractive and sexy), and also there's the Endearing Animal stories (Which spawned off from Marley & Me).

I think Harry Potter's pretty ok probably (I never read a word of it though), and the vampire stories at least teaches them courage in tackling thick volumes. I'm very much disturbed by the most recent reading fad though, which I called the Depraved Adult literature. Those which promises stories of various forms of child abuse in all their sordid details. What a disgusting choice of book for leisure reading! Not something I'll recommend 13 year olds to read, and my sec 1 kids do read them ok.

Now if only the booksellers go back to promoting the classics in a similar fashion, I'm sure children will end up being more literate and intelligent by reading the good stuff instead.

No comments: