Wednesday, October 17, 2007

My poor boat....

...Just suffered from a bump below the front bumper. Actually it could have happened much earlier, just that I discovered it only last week when I tore off the tapes securing the bumper and discovered it. I must have got it from charging for the first ball in matches, or any one of the numerous dogfights that I engage in with opposing defenders.


A closer look reveals that parts of the epoxy layer had been chipped away from the collisions, and fine stress fracture lines radiating outwards from the epicenter of the impact.


Yesterday, I went down to NTU just to peel away the epoxy layer so that I can prepare to paste a new layer of material above it. Without a grinder, I had to use a small knife from a multi-tool to pick at the sides and chip it away one bit at a time - torturous!


A closer look at the job - what you are looking at are the layers of broad Kevlar tapes that makes up the entire boat.


Without the epoxy at hand, I had to resume work another time. Then I took out the screws at the side of my seat, as I noticed a crack by the holes. My goodness, it wasn't a crack at all - the entire chunk around the screw came off, where I previously repaired it!


Ok...Now that's much trickier to repair. Sigh, I'll see what I can do...

3 comments:

Teddybear, Rabbit and Grubby said...

the bumper crack repair is ok. just make sure u put plastic over the finishing epoxy so the patch covers down and dont jut out.

seat repair, u can try whacking cloth on the whole portion, then drill through the cloth then put screw. btw should use stainless screws or the original screw. that time i lost the screw, had to go ubi to get it. seems like there's only 1 shop in SG which sells the screw. I bought a lot extra so can pass u if need.

Alex Wong said...

My solution is always.... get a new one! :)

Wolfie said...

Err...thought you are the one who always encourages me to be more frugal with my spending hm...

Well composite polo boats will need repairing someday one la. Put 10 'plasters' on it and it is still a boat that will hold me up. That's enough for me la ha.