Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The defining moment of my life

There was this time recently when I went to the toilet at my office to pee, and while I was on the job I had this sudden thought of gratefulness for everything that went my way (Yes, moments of epiphanies can occur to you at the most mundane moments of life) and got me there at that moment of time.

Is this a repeat entry? I am not sure if I had previously recorded these thoughts; I just am grateful sometimes for generally getting what I wanted in life naturally and seemingly without much effort on my part. I guess it helps that I ended up pursuing things I am passionate about it and somehow indulging in these activities helped to advance me forward in life somehow. So how did I end up in JC (after getting 27 points for prelims), landed up in the Arts faculty like I hoped for, and somehow became a teacher (with my dream combination of PE-Literature, at that!)?

And it all started on an afternoon in class 2B of Ang Mo Kio Primary School, during English lesson by a certain Ms Kaur. I can still remember the setting sun outside the windows and that the school day was nearing its end. She handed out card to each of us, NLB membership cards which was laminated plain white cards with only our names printed on it. But what pride we had in it! It became my prized possession from then on, and was my key to knowledge and learning. All I had, I attributed it to the fact that she got me hooked on reading for life though that small little act.

She will never know how much she has influenced the kids in her class, nor do I have any way of expressing gratitude. But I remember this and remind myself that it is possible to effect these changes as a teacher, rare though the chances might be.

No comments: