Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Going slower...

Ok, life is less of a drag nowadays!

Things are winding down already. I still have projects to settle, but it is not causing me much stress now. I still run around for nonstop errands like today, but it feels satisfying to finish them. Good plans are coming up for my PE department next year, and I am getting motivated to help our department go up in professional standing.

English department stuff is rather messy though. There's a new HOD coming in, and that means a break-in period just when I am starting to get used to current routines. There's this rumour going that my former supervising teacher during practicum is pushing for me to take the first ever lit class for upper sec next year, and it's rather startling news. A grave responsibility and I can't help but think that me and the students will suffer a tragic fate at the exams if I am to assume that responsibility, but at the same time, isn't that what I have been looking forward to? I am just painfully aware that I have no experience in teaching literature after my sohrt practicum period, that I shy away from drama stuff and don't really appreciate Shakespeare from the bottom of my heart.

So. My homework for the holidays is probably to come up with resources for PE, since my teaching duties for English/Lit is uncertain. Oh yah, though I think things will stay the same, I will hate to work with my current form-teacher for my form class. That jackass deliberately didn't turn up today and can't be bothered to leave instructions. I can't verify if his sickness is genuine, but most likely not because when I called him to ask for things, he refuse to pick up my call but replied by SMS soon after the call dropped. When I quizzed him on certain procedural irregularities which the students said he permitted, he never answered, probably fearing that his reply will be used as evidence. Gutless wimp who only knows how to make hollow noises.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your principal evaluates your performance based on the number of passes/distinctions in Lit, it doesn't augur well for you. That is the problem, that you cannot tangibly measure art.

Wolfie said...

Actually it is possible to evaluate writings quite accurately, contrary to common belief.

But you got that right - I will be held account for the results of the pioneer batch of Lit students in this school. And I am not optimistic about them getting good passes for it.

How how?