Friday, April 25, 2008

TAF activities

It's shameful, but I have to admit that it has been a while since I have done anything innovative in my classes. I think I do my badminton lessons pretty good, and there is only so much I can innovate when it comes to teaching fundamental techniques for net barrier games.

So anyway, I was in a playful mood the last Tuesday when the TAF kids were out doing rounds at the field. I joined some other kids in playing football, and then one of the boys asked if he can have the ball to play with while walking the rounds (yes they don't actually run la, but I close an eye). Oh ok, go ahead and dribble it round the field, if it makes you happier.

Then I thought about finding new ways to make the kids have fun and do physical activity at the same time. Currently, they do rounds, interval runs, rope skipping and play badminton for their sessions. Today, I gave them these choices:
  1. Run/Walk 4 rounds
  2. Make an accurate frisbee pass across the 18yard (16.5m) penalty box on the football field to a partner,
  3. Juggle a football with any parts of the body (except for the arms)
Of course, no one choose option 1, only 1 boy chose option 3, and he completed the task pretty quickly. All the girls choose option 2. Did it work? It does! Think it's pretty obvious that they are intrigued by the tasks, and they reported being tired just by picking up the frisbees.

Anyone can think of more skills tasks to share?

No comments: