Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Northern Exposure II

It was a great concert that I went for yesterday night - The Philharmonic Orchestra really did quite well with Sibelius 4th and 2nd Symphony. The conductor Lim Yau took his time to explain the 4th symphony, perhaps fearing that the menacing sounds of the opening bars might turn off the audience; it does helps me to understand the music better, and communicated his enthusiasm to us. The nicely presented program notes was superbly written by old friend leon, and I'm sure he's somewhere in the crowd although I didn't catch him myself.

The orchestra's standards' pretty high, and I'm sure I can't tell them apart from the SSO - really looking forward to their last concert for Sibelius's late symphonies! And I was talking about it with my school's music teacher today - it made me listened to his symphonies for a few hours today, and to want to go back try scratch notes on the violin again if I had the chance. It's a joy to awaken old interests once again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, Leon gave a pre concert talk too which started off as the unravelling of the Sibelius fanatic. It did give me more understanding of Sibelius through some quotation prepared by Leon.

Wolfie said...

Yah he's without doubt the Sibelius fanatic on this island. He even have a membership with some Finnish Sibelius society!

Anyway, he's writing on that is good, go check them out at the inkpot classical music reviews.

Wolfie said...

Hey read Chang Tou Liang's review of the concert today 2nd April in ST Life - he agrees that it was a good one too! Give yourself and the orchestra due credit man...Like him, I'm looking forward to getting the best seat for the last concert in the cycle!

Anonymous said...

Eh, got a softcopy?

Wolfie said...

No have lah...go and find!I see if I can get it for you.

Anonymous said...

Eh, I've found it. Thanks! :D