Friday, May 09, 2008

Marking period

It is strange, but teachers are the happiest when there's no students around in the school.

I was struck by a strong pensive mood as I went through my normal routine of changing my shoes and depositing my bike when I reached school today, upon seeing the empty parade square. The unexpected peace and quiet in that normally rambunctious physical environment created a jarring moment of cognitive dissonance.

Up at the staffroom, everyone was happily doing their work. Really. People were really happy to be doing their marking in peace. And there are those who lounge and relax as they mark. We ordered Mac breakfast delivery, another colleague was watching back-to-back CSI on streaming video, and I guiltily took out an hour to watch Heroes 2, ha!

Such a rare moment of sanity in the school. And it makes me realise how mad things are during the normal schooling season, all that daily chores, extraordinary events, frustrations from working with the kids.

No comments: