Thursday, September 18, 2008

Designing the house

I'm getting the keys to my new place next Wednesday!

Well actually that doesn't mean anything much, because we're still too busy to try do anything to it. I probably wouldn't start finding a contractor for renovations until after the exams. Meanwhile, will need to drop by there another time to take pictures and measurements of the place for the floorplan too (Yup, apparently HDB sells floorplans with inaccurate measurements).

Anyway, I have had fun reading interior design magazines every month, and it's quite interesting to see both the nice and weird things. Having a feature wall to hang your flatscreen TV on is the 'in' thing to do nowadays, as well as having kitchen islands/open concept kitchens and light boxes on the ceiling. Actually, in quite a few pictures of apartments and houses overseas, people don't even make the TV the focal point of the house! This dispensed with the need to build feature walls of course.

Which makes food for though - what else can be the focal point of a place? Just a cluster of sofa chairs and the coffee table? A full bookcase?

Maybe I should just display my boats, paddles and bike. I can admire them endlessly anyway. But I think somebody else wouldn't be as interested in that...

(Postscript - It just seems wrong for a modern day family to make the focal point of their home the idiot box. Terribly impersonal, don't you think? I mean, watching TV together might be nice, but then isn't there more interactive activities around?)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

yup, u got it rite, i wanna eat dinner and watch tv at the same time...dun wanna eat dinner and look at paddles etc *bleah*

Anonymous said...

why? paddles nice what...! lol! :p

Wolfie said...

I agree... the carbon weave of my werner is mesmerising...haha....

Anonymous said...

like dat u can sleep in the study and hug yr "werner" to sleep lah :P

Anonymous said...

i think you know who prefers epic....

Anonymous said...

nah nah, wat epic? :P sony bravia or panasonic viera will do....40inch can liao.... :PPP

Anonymous said...

omg... *faints*