Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Writing shorts?

I have been teaching my Sec 1 literature class how to do Unseen Prose this term, and had shown/taught them this story called Stone the Crows. Recently, during a PE period which I have to hold the class in the classroom because PE has ended, I showed the story to a class which I do not teach, read it to them and gave them some food for thought. After that, somehow I mentioned that I got the story online, and one of the kids said "Har teacher I thought you wrote this yourself!"

Don't know whether that is meant to be a compliment hm... maybe the brevity of it makes it seems likely that I am its author. They probably don't realise that writing short stories is an exacting craft. But that gives me a thought...maybe I can start writing stories for them! They'll be the perfect (captive) audience for me ha.

Not that I feel the need to express myself creatively in this manner. This blog is enough to satisfy my crave for expressive writing. I only need time to type out more of my thoughts here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm. If they thought you wrote it... they must think quite badly of you.

Stay away from stones, bro. And weapons like paddles too. :)

Wolfie said...

...I thought it's a very nice story!

Anonymous said...

I found it disturbingly cruel...