Monday, March 19, 2007

Reading into the future

Often I wonder how the kids in class will turn out to be. Usually, this doesn't happen when I deal with the bright and enthusiastic kids, but only when I see the recalcitrant few who blatantly refuse to do their work, never read their books, and don't speak more than a handful of English sentences each day. They are all only in sec 1, but perhaps that's the worrying thing - I wonder if their attitude will change for the better when they mature, and if it is still in time for them to save their own future.

I feel like telling them (and in fact I did today to 1N1): "Hello? This is only secondary 1! What's so difficult? Nothing here is unachievable, you know that it is just because you don't want to even put in the minimal effort. Do you want to be 20 years old and still read and speak like a 15 year old? Do you think you can survive in Polytechnics or JCs like this? Who do you think will want to employ you..." blah blah.

It probably wouldn't change their daily attitudes, but still, I probably have to say it some times, if only to get it out of my system. These kids, most of them don't even know what they want when they are presented with rational choices. And the most 'ah beng' and naughty ones are the most childish ones, that's the exasperating thing.

1 comment:

Alex Wong said...

I face similar kids in my coaching camps. Many of them have esteem issues, or self-image issues. Others simply do not have the belief that it is good to be participative.

Guess you need to work on the root of the problem. Anyway, knowing kidz, once they like you, anything goes. :)