Sunday, September 02, 2007

The start of term break

Yup, I got a week's break from work from tomorrow. That doesn't mean that I don't do work of course; anyone who think teachers enjoy all their holidays is very ill-informed. My Odac kids are doing their first aid course tom and tuesday, and I will be there, albeit doing work of my own while the listen to the instructors. Time is not to be wasted frivolously in school. Karen has suggested that I not organise events during the term break in the future so that both students and teachers have the break to themselves, and now I rightly concur with her on this.

I have been playing in the canoe polo national champs competition for 2 weekends now. It is always during time like these that the team really gets fired up and enthusiastic. During this period, juniors acquire their own paddles, we explored new tactics, made new commitments to train harder and better. The juniors were great, 2 out of 3 scored in their debut, and the crowd almost thought an upset was coming when they led the game 2-0 against NP. I am hoping that, having tasted success, they will eager to train hard and eventual win games as a team. And I hope that we will not forget our individual commitments to brush up on our individual skills.

So. Despite feeling dead and drained, I still hope that eventually, my team can commit themselves to more training each week. I always believe in the all-or-none principle, to some extent. One thing I realised: Having an active sports life makes me feel better, to be a committed sportsman rather than a tired teacher.

No comments: