Thursday, September 27, 2007

Thoughts of a dry brain in a dry season

I just realised that though I love to teach the Sec 1s PE still for next year, I am not cut out to teach a low-ability class for English like what I am doing now. Since I took them, almost everything I planned for them is too difficult for them to handle. Everyday, the first class I used the lesson materials on will give me feedback about the ways in which they find challenging, and I have to help the kids out in the second class. Though they are mostly guilty of intellectual sloth, I do think my work for them is the main reason for its non-completion.

And quietly I am feeling stagnant about everything I do. I used to lead an exciting life. I scoured the internet for challenging reads and expanded the horizons of my literary knowledge then; now I search all around for the easier English work for my classes. I used to plan enrichment activities for myself, and pick up varied skills by myself. Now I only do routine things week in and out.

What is there to move me and inspire me? Holidays are only a rest breaks now and not personal learning journeys like in the past, they can't give me satisfaction, and that's probably why I am so much more nonchalant about them.

I hope I don't take to retail therapy to spice up my life...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, you should take a good break from work and the routineness, rest in a shady place and read a good book on teaching.. :-) I recommend a simple good read in 'Teaching to change lives' by Dr. Howard Hendricks