Sunday, December 07, 2008

Laos Expedition - Day 1

I'm hardly ever this forgetful in planning for trekking trips, but paddling trips are another thing altogether. On the way to pick up JB to go to the airport, I realised that I forgotten to take my fleece jacket along with me for the Laotian winter. I consoled myself with the thought that I can simply layer all the clothes I have in the cold, while silently rueing that fact that the splash jacket I bought for the trip did not arrive through Vpostusa in time. Later, I would regret not bring Kundera's latest book along.

Bad fortune continued
  • Airasia refused to give us sports equipment allowances - I checked in my boat while JB dumped his with the group going up to KL in a van. Damage - $75 for 10kg excess.
  • Wxtex bag (newly bought but second-hand) delaminated at the seams. It didn't survive to Vientiane. Damage - $110
  • Unwittingly tried to checked in Leatherman tool because of repacking at the check-in counter. Damage - $150?
JB and I spent 6 hours at this foodcourt at KL LCC terminal mulling over our misfortune and worrying about upcoming ones while waiting for the rest of the team.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the Wxtex quality is not there. I've got a waist pouch... again the seams came out and the whole pouch disintegrated into its component PVC pieces. And this is my 3rd bag; the last 2 had zipper problems in which the zips rusted and dropped.

No more Wxtex stuff for me.

Wolfie said...

Yah man. Huey and TC had the same Wxtex bag which delaminated at the bottom too!

JB's watershed bag looks real nice hehe...maybe I'll consider that in the future. NRS seems to be very dependable too.