Thursday, February 08, 2007

Badminton training updates

First of all, I wowed myself by managing to match a badminton kaki in a singles game yesterday, something I never thought imaginable because his defence is rock-solid and he can send smashes back up to you sky high consistently. It looks like my lessons paid off!

I also did very much better in playing net replies, but it still is one of my weakest part of the game, and i usually overdo the delicate shot if I have to bound up hastily from the backcourt to play it. I am thinking that perhaps if I string my racket at a much higher tension when the current strings break, I can automatically put more control into my shots, albeit with a reduction in power. It is proven that modified sports implementations (such as kiddy-sized rackets for kids) help learners improve much faster and does not result in an unreasonable transition time in the future in getting used to the 'real' thing. Need to get my neuromuscular coordination in order first to produce good technique, before modifying it when using other rackets with different string tension.

And come practicum, I will be able to play badminton with kids for 2 more times each week, woohoo! Might have a chance to do coaching too, because the coach for the school only comes in 2 days out of 3. Hoping to be consistently better by the end of this year!

No comments: