Monday, February 05, 2007

Softball games

Recently I have been flaring up over silly issues when playing softball games during my sports module lessons. Once, I got angry that 2 good pitches of mine was called 'ball' by the umpire (meaning it is not thrown to the right batting zone) when they were 'strikes'. Today, I was upset that I knew I could reach a zone safely before the fielder tagged me out, that I didn't even bother to slide in. I got to the base plate, stand there, the fielder got the ball a bit later and tag me, and umpire called me out, what the hell.

In addition, I absolutely hate myself when I missed catching fly balls when playing outfielder, those 'ball-from-the-sky' which ought to be caught. I get sore over missed strikes too (my batting record is pretty good and so it betrays everyone's expectations when I don't do well) and also when I pitch bad balls and give batters a walk. And I'm irritated every session by the imbecilic play of a classmate, who lacks the most basic of skills, constantly loses her attention, and cannot be depended on at all.

There seems to be so much disappointment when a ball is missed in this game, such are the consequences, that's probably the reason. So much is at stake somehow, a gravity to the situation with every pitch of the ball. There's much more to this game than meets the eye.

No comments: