Thursday, February 01, 2007

Accountability

One of my main concern at working out in school is to be in a system in which there is no accountability. In the corporate world, I think usually the word is used to indicate who should be taking the blame, as in when you are responsible for this, you will be accountability for mistakes in this area. A more positive definition will be the responsibility of achieving success in some assigned area to oneself.

What happens when there's no accountability? Ultimately, it means that every action will be pointless, because there isn't even a measure of what success it. That stems from the lack of expectations and standards, leading to the lack of achievement and 'success'. To have any action beneficial, one must be able to define what 'good' is first!

But too often, physical education is an area in which teachers are persistently unwilling to set standards for themselves, assess their own actions, and be accountable for success or failure. There is a lack of accountability for the student's physical growth and development, and a lack of accountability to the people who pay them to do the job. And strangely, such accountability is neither encouraged nor requested from MOE themselves. And so many PE teachers have the leeway of doing whatever they like in class, without worrying about success and failures or the need to explain for these.

I'll probably end up disillusioned and unmotivated to carry on PE teaching if I land up in such a (very typical) school system - after all, what are all my efforts for? I might feel that I am doing my best to help students grow up well, but it wouldn't work if the students themselves do not hold themselves accountable for their participation in PE classes, because they have the notion that PE is a 'useless' subject matter. To fight for accountability from all parties, I hope that the only solution is not for me to become a PE HOD first.

No comments: