Tuesday, January 30, 2007

A sense of anticipation

Judging from the lack of blogging activities, perhaps you can tell that something my life is either too boring, too busy, or too frustrating for me to sustain a retelling.

Recently, I have lost quite a bit of interest in most school-related activities. My lit classes are frankly quite a big waste of time, with nothing valuable for us to take home at all (the whole module should be condensed into one workshop), and I'm impatient with long-drawn lectures where points are over-elaborated. Thank goodness the silly PESS inter-class games have ended - all in all I think it is such a silly idea, this oxymoronic thing called 'friendly competition', where people just play jungle ball and whack each other for lack of better skills.

At the back of my mind, I can sense the impending arrival of practicum, and appreciate the need to read/learn/do things that really does help me to be a better teacher out at school. Despite NIE's persuasions, I think everyone should prioritise their learning needs and spend time to learn what they need to know rather than get sucked into doing silly assignments and indulging NIE in 'e-learning' week.

I don't mean to always dish NIE (they do have a very good library after all), but perhaps lecturers should always have a mind on the possibility of praxis for all the abstractions thrown around in class. They should ask themselves - what is the take-home point of my lesson today? Is it absolutely applicable out in school? Is this a directly relevant exercise?

No comments: