Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sports coaches

I was pleasantly surprised to see some of the local sports coaches mentioned in the papers. It is due recognition, for they are a very important part of the sports education system. They have the power to make or break an aspiring athlete, guide them to greater heights or condemn them to mediocrity.

I have went through 3 badminton coaches in the last few months - one is a very good player but has a couldn't-care-less attitude towards coaching and just teaches what he likes, another is actually a NCAP level 2 coach but who plays very slightly better than me and is totally hopeless as a coach. My current coach is thankfully very good for my level and thus far performs his coaching duties dutifully and wisely. For all the hundreds of coaches, full time or freelance, for each sport, I have a feeling that less than half of them have the proper theoretical background knowledge about sports coaching methodology and other related sports sciences.

A sports team with no coaches is almost certainly doomed to failure - that is why my school's polo team cannot hope to aspire to much. We forget as fast as we learn, we don't have progressive training, we don't set goals, we don't have feedbacks, and we don't have an authoritative voice to give directions.

No comments: