Friday, January 19, 2007

Beep test

For 'fitness and conditioning' module, we did a multistage cardio-vascular fitness test called the beep test today, as an introduction to different forms of ability tests. It requires you to run 20m laps continuously, with the time interval for the completion of each level being shorter as you progress up the levels.

It's supposed to be a class activity, but it is inevitable that PE people take such things quite seriously. We were one of the last classes to do this, and people already spread news of the top performers from other classes; coupled with the fact that the test is a strenuous one, there's a lot of hype even before the lesson came. As a test which weeds out the unfit one by one, there is obvious pressure to perform well for the sake of ego, for the guys at least.

So anyway, it was partner work with one doing the running and the other doing the charting, and I was in the first running shift. I could walk with long strides for the first level, before having to jog. It helps to have badminton training, because you'll need to turn and get ready to go again after each 20m lap, and badminton footwork helps in the change of directions.

I was pretty much focussed on trying to use an appropriate pace and on controlling my breathing, and was pretty oblivious to the surrounding. Sometime around level 8, I glanced out to the side and discovered that less than half the field was still running. At level 9, there was like 4 of us only. Shen beside me paced me beyond to level 10, but went out 2 laps before me. I was sometimes sprinting with my head down at my max, involved in a solo sprint with no one else around me. When I put in my last burst of energy into the sprint, I reached in time but knew there was no way I could turn back to repeat that feat again.

I scored at level 10.11, which is one step short of progressing onto level 11. My class buddy kit was tops at 12.1, he's really great! Mr. Azhar told us S-league players average 12+ too, so he should be very proud of himself. As for me, I'm just glad a cocky guy in my class didn't make it near my level, after he deliberately came over to ask me how I did after my solo run. Ha, we're all vain people here.

No comments: