Tuesday, January 09, 2007

First vist to the TCM physician

Having long heard of the possibility of using TCM treatment for my allergic rhinitis condition, I finally got a chance to consult a Chinese physician for it today. The clinic is situated in Changi Hospital no less, lending quite a bit of credibility to it.

The physician was really quiet however - he just listened to me describe my condition and symptoms in full, then spent the rest of the time typing, writing a note for me to collect my medication after that. I even have to ask him about the expected period of treatment to coax more out of him (Will have a repeat visit next week probably to verify that the medication works, before given more perhaps).

The medicine is interesting - each day's medicine is a packet of 11 small individual sachets which contains a type of (presumably) herbal preparation, all which are to be poured into warm water to dissolve, and then taken in 2 separate portions. A week's worth of this thing cost me $40!



So what is allergic rhinitis anyway? People like me afflicted with it are allergic to one or more common substances, which a 'skin prick allergy test' can determine by pricking the skin with many different types of common allergens like dust mite, bed bug, cat fur etc. It causes respiratory problems very regularly, as I usually can't breathe with my nose (it is leaky frequently) and my upper respiratory tract suffers as I have to use my mouth to breathe, and that usually affects the lower respiratory airway too.

In other words, I am a pollution detector. I can sense smoke and perfume very well, dusty air-conditioned environments (most aircon-ed places are less than pleasant to me), and tidying my room or reading old books give me the sneeze. Sitting at places with bed bugs or dust mites makes my skin itch.

It's not that I got the flu bug or cold every other day - I can go into sneezing fits just because I see the sun, just came out from air-conditioning, walked into a dusty place etc. It is not contagious. I sniff often when natural instincts prompts me to breathe through my nose but there's a blockage, and only exercise can make me breathe unconsciously. My sense of smell is often disabled, and at rare moments, I can't even taste food (oh what a torture!)

Short-term treatment - relievers such as nasal sprays and nose drops (limited use)
Long term treatment - controllers as steroid-based nasal sprays (which the body will develop tolerance to eventually, and then you have to stop using for a while or change brand), immunotherapy (where you get subcutaneous injections about every 20 days for more than 3 years!)

Or perhaps with 11 secret herbs and spices from the TCM physician...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you know that there are MANY people that have severe Fragrance / Chemical reactions ? Some have it so severe that they can not leave their home or be part of society in a "normal" way. Just a whiff of fragrance, Bounce, Plug-Ins, or diesel fumes could cause a life threatening Anaphylactic reaction! This is called MCS or EI. Multiple Chemical Sensitivity or Environmental Illness. There is a lot of information about it on the web. There are MANY other health problems associated with MCS /EI. More common ones are links between people with Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Gastrointestinal problems, and Porphyria. Many children as well as teachers are having difficulty even being in classrooms because they are full of the "fragrance soup." Many office workers can no longer hold down their jobs because they have become so ill from new carpet being installed or other office remodelling, not to mention co-workers who insist on marinating in their perfume!

If you or someone you know is more than "inconvenienced" by fragrances and/or everyday cleaning products and chemicals you may want to do some homework on MCS.

You can start by looking at the link below where you will find lots of information, printable handouts, posters, educational material (incase you need to enlighten a friend, co-worker, teacher, loved one or even YOUR DOCTOR who might be telling you "it is all in your head") !

http://www.mcs-america.org