Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A painful career

It is so hard to teach. Day in and out a teacher fights to control emotions, trying not to get provoked, not to show disappointment, not to express frustration. He/she needs to keep cool and think of the best response to a hundred different verbal exchanges each day, the best answers that can encourage and reinforce positive behavioural changes but not show disrespect to the child. I tried hard to control a relief class today because I wasn't expecting it at all, and was reminded of some important classroom norms-setting rules for class management. I paid the price for it with my strained larynx.

And it is also painful when I observe poor lessons being conducted during PE classes. Pity the poor kids who are so innocent and forgiving, to tolerate useless and unproductive PE lessons every week but still maintain a healthy respect (or is it fear?) of their teacher. I could tear up the entire lesson I observed with a blunt critique of it. It it hard to bear the sight of it, and I want to distance myself as far from the lesson as possible, and at the same time hoping to attend to the kids personally to make things better.

No I'm not giving up yet. I live for challenges, and I want the kids to do likewise. It will be a daily trial, to be challenged for every teaching period, but I will go at it, each day at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go for it man!