Tuesday, April 03, 2007

The daily ups and downs

This morning my PE class was really bad. I'm not sure who is the 'bad' one, me or the students. The previous week, I took a gamble and used my lesson with them for observation by my NIE supervisor, wanting to challenge myself to handle any class ably. Well I failed miserably, they can't bothered, and getting them seated for instructions was next to impossible.

Today the same thing happen. When i gave my instructions and let them loose, they all wandered around like sheeps. I had to go to every single group to get game started, and it doesn't take long before they all stop and wander around again. And I have to deal with this childish one who lied to me over a petty incident; I eventually detained him for the entire recess to nag at him and showed him I meant business. At the end of the lesson, I told them that for the next lesson, those who want to play during game activities will carry on, while the rest will 'pretend' to be engaged by standing at the sidelines of the field, not to hinder those who are enjoying themselves. Let's see how things go next week.

Anyway, after lit class in the afternoon I got a relief class for 3N1. I gave them the mathes classwork their teacher assigned them, and they just went straight at it without prompts from me. That was something that made my day, and I wished I know my maths better so that I could tutor them for their test tomorrow.

So moral of the story is: Never give up, because there will be students who appreciate your work, though there are many that are still lost in their la-la land. I used to go crazy experiencing these moments that makes my mood fluctuates wildly throughout the day, but know I know I just need the positive experiences to lift me up again.

No comments: