Friday, April 06, 2007

Hospitalised!

After that bike accident a while back, my right knee suddenly got swollen on tuesday night, and it became painful to rest my weight on it, and too stiff to flex comfortably. Nevertheless, I still went to school because the PE department is busy with NAPFA and I didn't want anyone to cover my class for frisbee lesson since I did not send the lesson plan to anyone.

I hobbled around the school for the day, got throbbing pains when I try standing after being seated, but I survived the day somehow, even staying back to make sure some of my recalcitrant kids finish their literature assignment properly. I got to the AMK polyclinic close to its closing hour, and the doctor referred me to Alexandra hospital because an X-ray needs to be done and the clinic's diagnostic section is closed already. So I went AH, the doctor said it is probably 'septic arthritis' (internal inflammation), and X-ray confirmed that it is not a fracture. I was to be warded for observation to see if I respond to 'an aggressive course of antibiotics'. Here's my knees when I got my bed finally -

It is huge - the picture doesn't do justice to its size. Anyway, Karen went out to tabao Subway since I can't go out of there already, and I slept pretty early after she left. Which is fortunate because the hospital's day starts at 7+ am, and they woke me up just to change the sheets, and breakfast is served at 8am.

Hospital food is pretty good actually, though the quantity is paltry for me; here's the lunch for me on Thursday. I had fish fillet in mango sauce this afternoon, that was yummy too.

It's a pretty pointless life in hospital, you just slack the whole day in bed and get interrupted occasionally to feed and visit the toilet. I finished Jodi Picoult's Songs of the Humpback Whale before I sleep after starting on it after lunch. Man, with the imposed self-reflection time, I pity those people who lacks an intellectual life and cannot appreciate the arts - it is a reminder for us all to visit our ah gongs and ah mas if they are in hospital. I also read through 8 days twice, thought of an ultimate 300 day travelling route and budget, tried to do some personal goal-setting, and folded origami pieces from 3-inch squares.

What a way to spend the last long weekend of the year.

(P.S. Read about my right knee 'cellulitis' here.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

walau. this post is downright depressing. THE LAST LONG WEEKEND! sigh.

and of course I am concerned about you too my friend! hee.. hope you are doing ok. i'm sure you will be up and bounding around again. take care! :)

-tf

Wolfie said...

Thanks ah thanks...thought the pic of my swollen leg will be more enduring than that notice about the last long weekend thingy...hrmph!