Thursday, May 03, 2007

Are you listening?

Is anyone keeping note of the happenings for this year at the Singapore Arts Festival? Despite me paying (attention) only for the music events, I think they do have a great program overall. There is a wonderful variety of events to choose from, and no longer do we need to import a big-name orchestra over here to play some popular warhorses to create a ticket rush at the box-office.

Instead, the idea of having a famous composer-conductor like Tan Dun to come over perform his work is a big enough draw, while still involving the SSO in some innovative music making. The T'ang quartet is also up to playing contemporary music (as it their forte) and collaborating with the theatre to create a unique environment. I've got Wei Zhe asking me about going for the Video Game Symphony too, a nice idea but just not my cup of tea unfortunately.

I'll be going for the Taraf De Haïdouks performance, a group of gyspy musicians from Romania. Their culture has inspired many dramatic showpieces like the zigeunerweisen (Gipsy Airs), and it must be a treat to watch these people perform live! I had to choose between going for this and An Arabian Passion, which attempts to create bridges between Bach and the baroque to the middle eastern music tradition, and perhaps even more.

So which one are you go for?

No comments: