Saturday, May 05, 2007

Old friends

Chanced upon an old friend on the bus yesterday - Yunyang was my primary school buddy during the P3-P4 years. I cannot remember if we were ever in the same class though, and I think we only knew each other by being in the Scouting group. He was in the top class up till P6, was a very good sprinter for the school and probably had the biggest calves in the school then. Given his athleticism then, his rounded face today showed some considerable bulk on his frame now, and it felt odd that he kept remarking in amazement at my muscular build now.

After school, his classmates and I will religiously make a visit to the AMK central library to read books, and most of the time end up at one of the guy's place within the central area itself to play games that I cannot recall now. During weekends, I will go over to his place in Sin Ming and play soccer with his friends at a field nearby. And there was another scout friend with us and I think we called ourselves the musketeers - neither of us got to meet up with him after graduating through.

I got off the bus the next stop immediately, but we managed to exchange phone numbers. I sent him a missed call to leave him my number, and sms him too telling him how delighted I was to have met him. For the truth is that I used to wonder how these significant people in the earlier part of my life is doing now, and think about those idyllic carefree times of my life. Nothing has changed with our chance meeting yesterday; I realised that the sweet frozen past is always preferable to the strange and irrevocable changes time can induce in a man.

No comments: