Monday, May 14, 2007

A visit to the library

After a visit to the TCM clinic at Changi hospital lsat thursday, I decided to waste time at the library before meeting a friend for dinner. It has been a really long time since I visited one, and of course I didn't really thought that it was a 'waste of time'.

In fact, I was so excited that I spent more than 2 hours inside browsing voraciously without looking at the time. I scanned out for useful books on teaching, grabbed various poetry anthologies, browsed books on various sports, and hoisted almost 20 books altogether to the nearest chair to peruse. In the end, I photocopied a few pages from a few books for some interesting tidbits, and borrowed five in the end.

Here's the most interesting one: I found this book titled 'Roses, Origami and Math' by Toshikazu Kawasaki on the bookshelves holding teaching literature -

This origami master teaches one how to fold various geometrical shapes as modules to form bigger structures, and attempts in some arcane way to introduce maths teaching in the art of folding. Take a look at another of this mind-boggling stuff (to me at least) -

It is just oddly cool, isn't it? Anyway, here are some roses of Kawasaki's original rose; this book teaches a modified version with much more petals that I am still struggling to understand and fold.

No comments: