Thursday, July 31, 2008

Calling parents

Man I hate to talk to parents on the phone. I think it stems from the fact that unless I'm calling up friends, I really hate having phone conversations with strangers. You have to consider what you say real fast, and it really is a real pain to me. This is especially so when I have to talk to parents, when I have to be tactful at all times.

Calling them is bad, can you imagine how much worse it is for them to call me? Usually they are complaint calls, or calls from parents who want to find out where their kids are. In the latter case, you'll have to go run around school asking if anyone detained the class etc etc, then call the parent back again, a pure waste of time and energy. Can you imagine running up and down 4 floors and around the school just because of one call, and if you get several calls in a day?

But then, I have teachers around me who will compile lists of misbehaving students, or students who do not pay attention in class, and call up their parents one by one to talk about it. It's really amazing, this effort; I can't find any reason for doing that myself. I mean, what do you expect the parents to do? Scold them one more round at home (and make the kid bitter about you)? Offer advices on parenting or disciplining children? I think seeing parents twice a year during parent-teacher meetings is enough for me to dispense whatever advice I have for them, thank you.

Kids are kids la, if they are not well brought up they will just need daily reminders from you to keep in line. If the parents having been bringing them up well, what makes you think your phone-call intervention is going to help the situation?

No comments: