Monday, July 28, 2008

Northern Exposure III

It was real exciting for me to attending this concert yesterday, to hear 3 of the Sibelius's best symphonies, including the penultimate 7th.

I bought fourth row seats, and it was really close to the stage. The first row is probably like a metre away from the violinists' feet, so I'm not too far away too. It was quite an interesting experience though, to hear and see the violins up close. Indeed, it is quite fascinating to see how Sibelius gave the parts to the different strings, and I got to hear many different sounds that my recording could not afford me.

The brass and the woodwinds came up from above the cloud of stringed voices, and I had to pay special attention to them to catch their moments. The horns were quite impressive, and they surmounted the technical challenges well to deliver a tremendous sound.

I didn't exactly take to Lim Yau's interpretations, but it was a great experience still. I haven't been going for concerts for quite a while already, and needed performances like these to remind me that the live experience is still worth going for.

No comments: