Sunday, July 13, 2008

Moving on...

A close friend of mine in the polo team just decided to move on in life and pursue other activities. Now it seems like I'm the only one among the seniors who is willing to stay on to develop and play with the team.

He was a player with great vision. He could assess game play and come up with countering tactics, devise set attack plans for us to develop our attacking skills repertoire, and have a commanding presence on the water. During competitions, he could point out the strategies of the other team and suggest ideas to mess up their play. I was most impressed with his vision in a training match when we played against the junior team and their coach (a national player). He was holding the ball as the playmaker, while I drifted in and inexplicable decided to try screening off the coach playing outside defence. Coupled with a successful tackle-overload, a goal was scored. He paddled by and applauded my move, and I was amazed that he actually noticed my action and how it created the scoring opportunity - that is how sharp he is in his vision of the playing field.

I saw him yesterday night on the streets, and asked him about coming down; he said it's time he moved on to try new things in life. I felt a sense of loss then, to see a player leaving the team, though it is an inevitable decision that has to happen some time. It is sad that we have to give up things in life to move on, and I wonder when will it be my turn to do the same.

I think when the new batch of juniors come in in August I'll be motivated to be down to coach them. I'll carry on my playing career as long as this current team stays intact.

No comments: