Monday, August 25, 2008

The weekend

The weekend might be sweet or sour, but without doubt, it's definitely short.

Saturday was sweet. Slept in late, woke up to read the papers and then we're off bouldering at climbasia. It's definitely a better place to climb, at least the tiles are placed with some thought and not done randomly. If I start to go there more regularly, think I should begin my habit of filming routes once again.

Then it was off to Ritz-Carlton, where a room is booked for the viewing of fireworks in the evening.

The view from the toilet is actually very nicely framed - it will be quite a treat to lounge in the bathtub with champagne and watching the fireworks I guess!

We had dinner at Marina Square's Azabu Sabo, which was overpriced with small portions and does a terrible teriyaki chicken bento (Please try MOF@My Izakaya instead). Owing to the light drizzle, the fireworks' smoke lingered low above the parade stands and dimmed much of the sparkle that was created. Actually, I can't say I enjoy it very much. They are just bursts of lights that comes and go, and its ephemeral nature makes it insignificant to me.

Next morning, the breakfast buffet at the restaurant was excellent. I could find nothing to complain about, and it was the most sumptuous breakfast spread I ever had.

We had a seat at the full length glass wall, and could see all the greenery outside while eating and reading the newspapers, and that is the best experience of a hotel stay IMO.

But by then, it is already Sunday. Dread came and troubled me from the moment we left the hotel. Back at home, I had to work, and didn't really feel wasting time playing my polo friendly game that night. I went nonetheless, but left hurriedly at ten.

Midway through the game, I was thinking that finally, this year might really be the last year I'm going to commit myself to polo. My alumni team doesn't go for training anymore, and I can't fit into the junior team currently due to difference in ideas. I think I lost the passion to want to go down constantly every week to train the new batch too. During supper, a teammate said that he is going to San Francisco for work for a year - yet again confirming that my team will probably play its last competition this year. Time to move on perhaps...

No comments: