Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New paddle!

I had to replace my playboat paddle cos the old 'shotover' aluminium shaft-plastic bladed paddle is going to expire soon. The shaft had numerous scars on it showing fatigue, streaks of silver fibres are exposed on the plastic blades due to constant degradation by UV rays, and one side of the blade is shaky and leaking water into the shaft.

So I was looking for another cheap plastic paddle, and found it during the last course when I used this one that SCF had. It's a 2 piece paddle, with a reasonably stiff blade (for plastic at least), can set zero blade offset angle, and best of all, it's only $84. On the other hand, it's 200cm long, a little too long for a playboater. I bought it nonetheless, and wanted to cut it down - yet another kayaking technical project!


First, I marked the length that I am going to cut, and measured the distance from the end of shaft to the holes. Noting the position of the zero offset fitting hole, I used a 8mm drill bit and made another exactly 6cm away from the position that I'm cutting the excess off. Thank goodness the sawing created reasonable straight and clean edges, or else I'll be filing it away like a madman.


After filing off what I can, I can see the pin at the right position but it is obstructed from popping up from the hole fully. I can either 1) file off the end a little more or 2) file the hole wider. Cautiously I proceeded with step 1 first, and went on to widen the hole just a little once I'm absolutely sure that the pin and hole position are alighned.


Final result - a perfect fit! It is very snug and tight, and doesn't not really have freeplay around it. I like it this way, but will ask JB to see if that's the way it should be. Going to try it out immediately later today! Kallang, here I come!

2 comments:

roland said...

So how was it?

Wolfie said...

It was great! Felt solid enough in the water. The best playboat paddle should have big blades, but this is good enough la. Can prevent me from relying too much on strength anyway.

Haiya, so tired playing for a while on Wednesday, need to get back my strength...