Wednesday, May 13, 2009

School teachers Vs Tuition teachers

I always wonder if tuition teachers have an symbiotic or exclusive relationship with school teachers. Do school teachers need this spinoff industry?

My advice to my kids are that if they listen attentively during class time and ask any questions they need after classes, they should be able to get all that was taught. The only problem is that most kids never bother to ask when they do not understand classroom content, whether in or after the class. So they rely on their tuition teacher to help them.

It seems to be that over time, most students who receive tuition (and that's almost all students nowadays!) will tune out classroom teaching, thinknig that they can ask whatever they want back at home, or that there's no point learning in class when they'll hear the same things being repeated back home.

So this situation makes the tuition teachers indispensable for those who are already using them, and I don't think it's healthy at all. It's good to receive personal attention as I do know the classroom can be a crappy place to learn in sometimes, but then it's not really necessary unless the kid is really struggling to catch up with his/her peers, or the parents want to hothouse them.



And today while doing invigilation, I was considering how interesting it might be if I take on a tuition kid for English and Literature, and teach the kid English the way I taught myself - the reading method. Just get the kid to read and read, go through vocab, talk about the content, test for understanding, expressing response in different ways etc.

I'm a product of this style of intuitive learning, and I still believe that that is the best way to go about learning a language in a relatively painless way. Is it worthwhile to try out this experiment?

No comments: