Thursday, February 14, 2008

Inequality in the class

I'm marking the comprehension questions for my Sec 2 normal technical class's English common test now, and the disparity in standards among individuals is shocking. The questions are all pretty easy to begin with, and I start off the answers with a few words, so they need only to complete the sentence. There's a third who got almost everything right, and roughly the same number of people got everything wrong. How the hell are these kids going to catch up with the rest?

I have been toying with the idea that perhaps I can start an after-school reading program for the kids, because the kids badly needs to learn to read better, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. Do I get them seated in a circle around me while I read out stories word for word to them, or do I select things for them to read themselves? And how am I going to convince these kids to stay back to do something they know is boring?

It is almost a feeling of guilt, that I don't have the time to think about doing something more outside of class to help them in English. I devoured a book titled There are no Shortcuts by America Teacher's Award winner Rafe Esquith recently, and it sort of stirred up these complex emotions in me, provoking me to consider if I can just busy myself doing what I am doing so far without going the extra long mile like that guy did to make his students mature into outstanding individuals.

Will post a review of that book when I have time, it's really disturbing to my waning convictions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's time for remedial lessons.

But I guess the challenge is to even encourage the weaker ones to attend remedial! Hmmm.

Wolfie said...

Tell them they have to come, and see who actually turns out loh. It might work better than to have them try to do work in class, where there are so many distractions.

Runnaholic-foodie said...

hey ! Take comfort in knowing that i have some kids that cant read and write even at P3 level. Think you really got to get them seated and maybe read them things that are interesting to them. For example: even the straits times sports section of lifestyle may interest them. Like if the boys like soccer you can make them take the soccer section out and read. Im sure they'll pick up some vocab along the way and at least they're bothered to read coz they like soccer.
Just some thoughts..Cheers!