Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thoughts of a recreational canoe polo player

There aren't many out there in the canoe polo scene who are like me. I still enjoy playing the game, and (faintly) hope that eventually my team will win something again this year, but don't mind if we end up with nothing either. My team can't even come down to train together much anyway, though we usually can find 5 of us together to whack the junior team.

Not being very concerned with the competitive aspect of being in a tournament, I find it irritating to meet young teams who goes all out to win and abandons sportsmanship to the wind. You can beat people fair and square, but to do that by jeering the opposition shows your immaturity.

Right now, I am actually finding more satisfaction from coaching my juniors even more than playing in the game myself. It gives me great pleasure to see them learn and improve to be a match-winning team, and I look forward to the day when they join my alumni group and play alongside with me.

Ultimately, I like to think that I'm helping the sport to grow in this way. If we cannot exert our influence in great ways to grow the sport, at least we are helping to sustain the teams that keeps the sport alive and raise our standards.

No comments: