Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pride

An email was sent out to teachers by the teacher of the student council, asking us to excuse those Sec 1 students who are to attend councillor selection. There is a whole list of people from the top 2 Express classes, and only 3 names from my class, the last Normal Academic class of the Sec 1 level. Two of them were nominated by me, but a few others wanted to go for it too. So after assembly talk today, I called them out and asked them to submit their forms asap if they have not done so.

I don't know why, but I am upset by a sense of injustice from seeing the list. I had been discerning and only nominated 2 of my kids with clear potential to be good leaders. I am not sure how many of those in the long list of Express students were actually teacher-nominated (the rest have to get the form themselves and look for teachers to endorse their nomination), but even for these students I suspect there is a lack of care in selecting them, or perhaps over-zealousness in wanting to promote these students. My kids have fine personal qualities too, and I want to ensure that they have equal opportunities.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You don't have to be in council to demostrate leadership. Encourage them to take part in other CCAs to cultivate them too!

I've never joined any council before though. =)